Tuesday, April 15, 2008

LEED for homes

Logo for LEED for Homes.The new LEED for homes standards are fully up and running (since January 2008) and are now gaining momentum and popularity across the country. If you are interested in building a green home and want the certification with the highest level of visibility and most brand recognition, LEED is definitely the way to go.

Integral to the certification is obtaining a HERS rating and becoming Energy Star eligible... In most areas of the country there are considerable financial incentives to do this. Generally the cost of the HERS rating is completely covered, and often you can gain extra money to cover the entire certification process plus some - these would all be in addition to the financial incentives that are locally and nationally available for your gas water heaters, solar power or water, insulation, energy star appliance rebates, etc. For information on what is available locally, check in with you local government or contact your local LEED for homes provider or field agent.

Digg!

2 comments:

ONNO said...

I live in Steamboat Springs, CO and am proud to say that the majority of our architects and builders are encouraging their clients to build according to LEED standards or Built Green CO standards.

Dagny McKinley
www.onnotextiles.com
organic apparel

adrian2514 said...

Hey! Thanks for the great info about LEED. I plan on doing that when I buy a house!

I was browsing through a bunch of green websites and blogs and I came across yours and found it very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like the daily green, ecorazzi and earthlab.com. I especially like EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). I find it really easy to use (it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it).

Are there any others you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites (let me know if they are the same as mine).